Saturday, March 3, 2012

Our Privacy and Safety

     The internet has raised a lot of privacy concern. We put our private information on the internet without even knowing it. When we register on websites, some of these websites have cookies which monitors the information we put and therefore know the type of products or services to advertise to us based on the information we put. 
     This is no difference with our information that the government has. Since the government can deliver some of its services to us through the internet, it means that the privacy of our information with the government is also at risk. Anyone can easily search your address, place of work, phone number etc. on the government website. I think there should be a way that the government will have to protect people's private information at least for their safety so others can have information about you that you only want them to have.
         For instance, I saw on the news about  a student broke up with her boyfriend in school. Her boyfriend wanted to seek for revenge, and searched for her family address, so he could go harm her family in order to inflict pain on the girl. It's very alarming that he could easily get asses to the girl's family address without her giving it to him and now, their safety is not even guaranteed
     With cases like this, we should understand how dangerous it is that our private information can be easily asses on government website. 

7 comments:

  1. I put my address into Google and they had all information on my house and even a satellite picture of it. They did not ask our permission to disclose the information nor to post pictures of our house. Very scary to think of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, I don't think that the government is going to take on a project like this (filtering every US citizen's personal information from public view) anytime soon due to the shere magnitude of it. It would take a massive amount of hours and resources to filter people's personal information from even just Google. Like you said, quite scary to think about.

      Delete
  2. I guess the government feels like since they help to invent and distribute the internet then they also have full rights to withhold all and any information passed on it. This is one of those things that no matter how bad it may suck there is ultimately nothing we can do about it. I agree that it would be nice for the government to set some kind of regulations on how certain information is shared with the public. However, I also believe that even with these regulations set in place that people will still find a way to get the info they seek. Overall, people just need to learn and adapt to the fact that whatever goes onto the internet is there forever and has the potential to be seen by others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is definitely scary, but how can you regulate that when sites like Facebook sell their information or simply using a wireless network that is not secure can lead to information theft. You almost have to take the good with the bad unless you want to be a hermit and hide away from society. What more can you do to protect your information or than hope for the best and not purposely post your information anywhere public?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's invading our privacy. I mean they say they want to know about the cunsumer online behavior but is that the same thing as someone watching your every move? I think company's should have no right watching what we do online. I would think it's strange and wierd if I had company's second guessing on things that I'am viewing on the web.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That guy is just a bad egg, and even with out the internet probably would have found her or her family and harmed them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It almost seem like its impossible for our privacy to be protected since the use of internet is has and is still growing on a fast pace. It is just the bad side of using internet which is the same as every other thing that we do.

    ReplyDelete

Type your comments here.